Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My life's purpose and testament

All around us, there is negativity, pain, sorrow, unhealthy things, illegal activities, immoral actions, and so much wrongdoing that is happening to others and being done by people. People need help in all areas and aspects of life.
I cannot live in a world where all this is happening and not do something about it.

In the summer of 2005, I attended a healthy lifestyle camp that changed my life. It focused on physical health, inner strength, emotional growth, and living a healthy, fit and balanced life, in all aspects, inside and out. It was like no other camp or experience out there. The following summer of 2006, I returned to camp as a counselor, to help other girls the way I had been helped. Both summers changed my life. After only a few years in existence, Camp California Fitness closed due to lack of funding. I was devastated. I knew that in those five years, hundreds of lives had been changed for girls ages 8-21, forever friendships were born, and a lifetime of memories were made, laughter and love were shared, and knowledge was gained that changed all of our lives forever. I could not imagine that place not being there anymore to help more people because I know this world is full of people who need help in all different ways in levels. That camp was a safe haven, because no matter what your issue or concern or problem, there was something for everyone there, and everyone gained at least one thing, if not more, and left a better and changed person. What I experienced there, both as a camper and counselor, opened my eyes to a world of issues and problems from a to z, and how so many people can be helped and lives can be changed in so many different ways. Half of my best friends today are people I met in those two summers, and many others I am still in touch with. You leave a changed, grown, better person with friendships that last a lifetime.

The experience of camp, and then it's closing, made me realize that I want to have a career where I can help others and promote change, growth and positive actions on a small, big and widespread level. So I decided to go to grad school to get my MBA in Health Services Management. I know that my every day job, work life and career will be helping others. In addition, I want to continue to volunteer my time and money and give back in all ways that I can. And whether or not I am able to start a similar camp to CCF, I know I will continue to spread the message of living a healthy, fit, balanced and well rounded lifestyle, and maybe start a support group, a camp or anything that I can do to keep helping people who struggle in the area of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. I know just someone listening to you and giving you the right guidance can be the best medicine for mind, body and soul healing and growth. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have seen girls of all ages and backgrounds and walks of life conquer their destructive habits and surpass all of their inner and outer problems, learn how to handle them better, deal with them properly, gain knowledge to live a healthy and balanced lifestyle in all aspects and ways, inside and out, and become these incredible young women and go on to do amazing things. This includes myself as one of those girls. And many of them continue to help others in these areas of health today, not to mention their own lives being changed. That is what I wish to do in this world and in my lifetime. I feel this is both my purpose and my calling. My main goal in life is to work with others to create positive change in the world, in all ways, small, big and widespread.

Without health, we have nothing and we can do nothing. So be healthy and be happy. I wish this for everyone. Health in mind, body and spirit.

After I found out camp had closed, I saw people's friendships continue to stay strong and to grow. I knew that we would always keep those memories and experiences of camp with us, in our minds and hearts, and that we would always remember what we learned there, keep that with us, live a healthy, fit and balanced lifestyle, and share that message with those in our lives. I knew that no matter what, this reminded me of how much I want to continue to help people in my life, and be a part of the positive energy in this world that will conquer all the negative aspects. I know that even one signature on a petition, a smile to a stranger, giving up my seat on the train, one hour of volunteering, participating in a walk to show my solidarity for a cause, one dollar of donation - every single action and every single person does help to change the world and add to the positive energy. In a world filled with chaos, these days just being a good person and living a right life is more than enough. If you can do even one thing beyond that, that is beautiful.

No judgments. No expectations. No pointing fingers. No asking questions. Just selfless giving back and helping others and being one person to contribute to positive change and growth in this world. I do matter and count and make a difference.
This is how I choose to live my life. And I pass the choice on to you.
Live well, healthy, happy and free. Love openly. Give. Open up your eyes and your heart. Help to change the world, one day and one action at a time. Be a part of the positive energy that is all around us. We just have to feel it to see it and make it work.
It's up to all of us.
Peace to all
<3