Thursday, July 17, 2014

birdie

Yesterday I saw a little birdie in our driveway. Hours later, it was just chillin. It wouldn't fly away; it only hopped around. It was so cute. I put bread crumbs and water in the driveway for it. Later it got hot outside, and birdie was sitting in a small patch of shade, so we brought it inside the garage. I started to get attached and wanted to take care of it. We put it in a padded box with food and water. It seemed fine and slept off and on, and chirped as well. Then we called the Wildlife Org in NY to find out what we should do. She asked if we could bring the bird by and we did, but she said it had died because something had attacked the bird and that's why it sat in our driveway and didn't fly. It had a crushing injury I told her it was flapping around just minutes earlier, but maybe that was his or her last breaths :-( I cried for 2 hours. I never have had a pet nor rescued any animal or anything, let alone see one die in front of me, so it was a new/sad experience for me, but now I want to get a pet. My brother has a dog that I see once or twice a year and absolutely love, so maybe my turn too now. RIP birdie :-(
— in Yonkers, NY.