Thursday, April 9, 2015

Farewell to FB!

Dear world of social media,

I have had Facebook for almost a decade. There have been a lot of great things about it, even one that was life changing for me. Also it has allowed me to keep in touch with old classmates, friends, and family, especially overseas.

After personal growth and changing over the past few years, I see my life going in a different direction. Less technology/phones/limited email/online presence and more feet in the grass/sun on my face/toes in the sand kind of life. This is what makes me truly happy.

I have gotten more into fitness and health, taking classes I enjoy from barre to rock climbing to dance to aqua spinning and many more, spending time outdoors (even in the snow!), and spending more time with family and friends – for real. For those who are far, I have email. For those who like to share life, I have a blog. For me, that is enough online presence and keeping in touch. If it wasn’t for work, I think I would get rid of my cell phone too. I want to share my life differently, privately, personally.
So this weekend, I will be deleting my Facebook account. Over the past few months, I have spent less time on Facebook, and realize it is the right decision for me.

I know that even one minute online can be one extra minute spent paddleboarding on the Hudson River, or hiking in nature or walking around my greatest love of NYC or feeling the sunshine on my face. I don’t want to share a photo of my ice cream. I want to eat it and be 100% present in that moment.
Life is short, but also long. I want to live each moment to the fullest, take photos for myself, and share with those closest to me, and occasionally a few on my public blog.

To the online social media world, I say farewell, and to the real world full time, I say hello – and I shall see you there :-)

Best,
Anisha