Monday, December 18, 2017

My Nani

I never got to meet my Dad’s parents, my Dada and Dadi. They passed away when my Dad was growing up, way before I was born. But I did have the blessing and opportunity to know my Mom’s parents, my Nana and Nani. It is these grandparents that I have fond memories of growing up in Boston and California, with them visiting and staying with us often. Birthdays, graduations, they were there. I remember them in my childhood memories, and also when my little brother was born, they were there. 

Growing up, they can to visit, I remember in 2001 at my cousin's graduation in California. Our entire family came together, and all of us took this huge group photo with my grandparents. I'll remember that forever. I spent time with them in 2005 when I visited India with Mom, and stayed with them in Adipur. I always remember them singing songs, making chai (tea) in their kitchen, telling jokes and stories, going for walks, talking and sharing, eating ice cream, and enjoying life together with them. I always felt warm, happy, comforted, loved, and cared for around my grandparents. A few years later, my Nana passed away, and we were able to bring Nani to stay with my Masi (aunt) in Florida. I was happy she was not alone in her village in India and now we could visit her more often. I saw her in May 2014, right after Mohit and I got married, and she got to spend time with Mohit also, along with my other cousins who also visited in the same trip. We listened to her stories of her childhood and growing up, she sang songs, we took her to the beach and out to dinner. Then earlier this year in May, I went to visit her for a few days, knowing that at 93 years old, she may not have much time left, and her health had also started to deteriorate. Age definitely takes a toll on your mind and body, but her soul was always strong, spirited, loving, happy, and peaceful. 

Today my Nani passed away, at 94 years old, and I know she is in Heaven with my Nana. My Nani was an amazing woman. She lived an incredible and long life, seeing not just her children grow up and start families, but her grandchildren grow up and start families, and even met two of her great grandchildren as well. She has instilled and shared values, morals, a sense of purpose, and lifelong memories in all of us. When Mohit and I have a baby on day, I know Nani’s soul will be present and a part of him/her. Whenever I think of Nani, I think of her love, her strength, her cuteness, and always brings a smile to me and warms my heart. I am glad I saw her a few months ago, and sad she is not here anymore physically, but her body is at rest and soul at peace, and her memories, spirit, soul, love, laughter, stories, care, kindness, strength, singing, cuteness, and specialness will live on forever. 

Rest in Peace Nani. You are with Nana now. I love you forever. We are so grateful and blessed to have grown up with you and to have known such an amazing woman, mother, grandmother, and great grandmother that you are and will always be.

This is the last photo we ever took together.  I believe in the circle of life. I believe in karma. I believe in reincarnation. My Nani has always been with me, and I know she will be with me forever.