Wednesday, April 4, 2018

10 ~ officially a New Yorker!

10 years ago, I took a red-eye flight from California, where I had done quite a bit of my growing up, and woke up on April 4, 2008 in New York City. Today, I am officially a New Yorker!!!

It had been my dream to live in New York City since I was 16 years old, when my Dad took me to NYC during the Christmas holidays in 2000. I still remember standing in Times Square sipping hot chocolate, wearing my oh-so fashionable Limited sweatshirt as a high school junior, skating in Rockefeller Center, staying in a tiny hotel overlooking the David Letterman show, going to Madison Square Garden's Christmas play show, going to Radio City Music Hall's Christmas Spectacular, and walking around the city with my Dad. I fell in love with NYC, and in 2006, I went back to visit, to make sure I still wanted to move there post-college. I had never felt pulled toward anything stronger. I stayed on a friend's couch, took my NYC map with me all over, riding all the subways, eating slices of pizza, having only my backpack, getting lost, and fell back in love with a city that would become a permanent part of my life forever. I moved to San Francisco for a year to take my first steps out of home post-college, and toward the end of 2007, after moving back home and deciding between doing a film career in LA and doing any career in NY, my Dad said that I would not move to NYC until I actually booked that plane ticket. 

So I did. For April 3, 2008, red eye flight SF - NY, waking up in NYC on April 4, 2008. 

I had 1 suitcase and 1 duffel bag with me, and I shipped 4 boxes of stuff. That's it. I took a cab from the airport to that same friend's apartment (thank you Sonya!), stayed on her same couch in her kitchen with my legs hanging off (honestly this was a truly fun NYC experience), picked up free WiFi from Columbia University, applied to jobs, apartments, joined a gym, started living in a sublet with two other girls, then eventually in an apartment with my roommate (and lived in a total of 6 apartments in NYC during my 6 years living in the city including 2 sublets), got a job, and started an entire new chapter of my life "New York City". A few months after moving to NYC, in August 2008, I met the love of my life Mohit, who I married 6 years later, and became a part of his beautiful family, who then became my family too. 

Throughout these ten years and all of these experiences, my life has changed for the better and positive, and I grew for the better and positive as well. My loved ones, family and friends, esp my hubby, has been the best part of - not only my New York journey - but also my life. (totally emotional writing this)
My life has not and never will be the same because of New York, in the best way possible, because this is where all of my dreams came true. It was a lot of hard work and struggle, but every single moment has been worth it. 

And I wouldn't change any of it for the world. 
New York New York - you are stuck with us for life! ;-) #bondedforever
Home sweet home :-)

Dedicated:

  • To Mohit, who moved to NY a few months after I did (neither of us knowing each other at the time), met, became best friends, and spent years exploring the city and falling in love together. From food to ferries, these have been the best memories and experiences of my life. New York City was the background for our love story - and just the beginning. #eternity
  • To my Ma & Pa, who completed my New York family, who give me unconditional love and care every single day, and support Mohit & I in all that we dream & do.
  • To my Dad, who introduced me to the city of my dreams when I was 16, and pushed me to book that ticket to move here at 24, knowing I had wanted that for 8 years. And once I moved to New York, he sent me the best inspirational email about taking risks and working hard to make your dreams come true.
  • To all of my friends and family, coast to coast and beyond, who supported my dreams, gave me advice, and took care of me & enjoyed with me here on the east coast #funtimes #amazingmemories




From my first days in NYC......


Traveling and visiting new places, near and far, has always been a huge part of my life, and will always continue to be. My adventurous spirit, like traveling and trying new things, I got that from my Dad, who always made sure we traveled the country and world as a family. I like to consider myself a Citizen of the World. Global love.



If I can make it there I'll make it anywhere It's up to you New York, New York