Wednesday, March 11, 2009

CCF has closed :-(

:-( I am sad to learn that Camp California Fitness (CCF) has closed.
This camp was so amazing for what it did for so many girls and young women, including myself and a lot of my close friends who were campers and/or counselors with me.
I am so sad to hear this program has ended :-(


This is part of an email that I wrote to Mohit, to tell him about CCF, and including the message that now has replaced the website:

I am sad to hear that my camp has closed for good :-( It makes me feel like starting something like this, a similar program, for girls who need any kind of healthy lifestyle help and/or support. This camp changed my life and so many others - this was the healthy lifestyle summer camp that I went to as a camper, and then returned as a counselor. Now after years of changing girls lives, it has closed. Some of the best memories of my life and most of my closest friends today were people I met at this camp. My own life was changed and I helped to change so many girls lives. I loved every minute there, even though it was tough at time, as both a camper and counselor, but when I think back, I have nothing but the best memories, and I miss those days SO incredibly much, and now I know that other girls cannot have that experience anymore or ever again. Some of my best memories ever and times of my life and friendships and bond blossomed in those two summers in the hot California sun :-) I will never forget what I learned, what I gained, and will take those life lessons with me through life for the rest of my life. I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity to be a part of this amazing experience and touch so many lives :-) including my own that was changed forever!

We had a team of camp doctors (as it was a medically monitored camp for healthy lifestyle and losing weight), and the father of all the doctors, whom we called "Papa" wrote this note on the website that used to exist, that I visited daily for so many years of my life, and that I even helped to update and work on the website. This is the note that has now taken the place of the website: Really saddens my heart :-( I just feel like I want to help people and I don't know how - and the help that was out there and helping people - like this camp - are closing due to lack of funding and I wish I just had money to keep things like this camp open, and just volunteer and help people without having to worry about money. Oh that would be so perfect :-)
I want to help people. I want to change the world. Or at least help to do so. Maybe with my MBA, I can start a program or a business or something - where I can help people.
:-)

www.campcaliforniafitness.com

NOTIFICATION: Camp California Fitness has closed.

Camp California Fitness was started to realize a dream that the founders had to provide a safe setting where young women and girls could come to learn and implement ways of leading healthier lifestyles. The results were amazing. Five years of data showed consistent efficacy and the testimonials spoke for themselves. However, despite the fact that the health care professionals involved (including the physicians, dieticians, mental health professions, etc) provided tireless service to the camp without stipend, the current economic climate in the United States has made it economically impossible to continue. The camp was converted to a non-profit organization in 2008 in an attempt to attract support from individual and corporate donors as well as a means of acquiring capital through grants. Unfortunately, fundraising efforts have failed to raise enough capital to pay prior debts which was a prerequisite for reserving the college campus for summer 2009. All involved continue to dedicate their lives to providing care and teaching ways for people to optimize their lives through lifestyle modifications. While our passionate commitment to assisting people remains, we feel tremendous sadness about not being able to do so through Camp California Fitness. We feel blessed to have worked with so many amazing young women and families and hope that we will have the opportunity to do so in the future.

Sincerely,

Sam J.W. Romeo, MD, MBA