Saturday, June 18, 2016

Swimming

I have been swimming for as long as I can remember - since I was a little girl. For many years, I swam with a team and competed at swim meets. I even got two medals at the Junior Olympics in McAllen, Texas when I was a young teenager. I have those medals with me until today. I remember waking up before school in Texas and on the weekends and going to swim practice. I can see so clearly memories from those days, mist sweeping over the pool as it was cold in the winter months, but the pool was warm as can be. Everytime I glided under the water, I felt warmth and comfort, and then came up to breathe and the cold mist stung my face. I can still feel it today, and still see that mist rolling over the water. I remember traveling with my team by bus to swim meets and the Junior Olympics. I continued swimming when I moved to California for high school, but it was not the same. Moving takes a toll on activities, teams, and interests. I got into running in high school, but was never very good. Swimming was one sport that I was - and still am - actually good at. I came first in many meets, especially in breast stroke. I still remember my coach congratulating me and high fiving me when I finished. For one swimathon, I swam 200 laps and raised money for our team. 200 laps - the most I have ever swum. I still swim at the pool at my gym. Something happens to me every single time I enter the pool. With swim cap and googles on, I jump into the water, and feel surrounded by memories, peace, and familiar feelings. With every stroke I take, I remember happy memories, I feel peaceful, and glide through the water with a clear mind, free from stress or work or obligations. When I am in the water, like a true Pisces, I am free and me. There is no better feeling and I will keep swimming until I am no longer physically on this Earth. Stroke by stroke, I am a swimmer. And a pretty good one still. Although, I used to be great - and I will never forget it. Those swimming memories will stay with me forever, and I make new ones each time I touch the waters of the pool again.